40th ANNUAL OLD TIME FIDDLERS CONTEST
Friday September 8th, 2023
Committee: Beth Jenish, Gordon Jenish
Please register beside the fair office in the arena on Friday September 8th between 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
The contest will commence at 7:00 p.m. on the arena stage.
Rules and Regulations:
1. 9 and under Fiddle: One-piece will be played in the choice of 3/4, 6/8, 2/4, or 4/4 time. The Duet Class will play a waltz and tune of choice.
2. All other classes must play in Old-Time style: a waltz 3/4 time, a jig 6/8 time, and a hoedown (reel, breakdown, or a hornpipe) 2/4 or 4/4 time. The Duet Class will play a waltz and tune of choice.
3. Each contestant may enter only one class (except for Duet). ONCE REGISTERED YOU CANNOT CHANGE CLASSES.
4. In case of an accident (broken string or power failure) beyond the contestant’s control, a replay will be allowed.
5. Each contestant will be allowed one instrument (playing chords) for accompaniment. A house accompanist will be available for those who do not have their own.
6. Players are to be ready when called.
7. Marks can be picked up after the presentation of their class. All judges’ decisions are final. Judges will award points based on Timing, Danceability, Tone, Accuracy, and Old-Time Style.
8. The order of play will be determined by first to register, and last to perform. Contestants must register prior to the start of their class.
CLASSES in order
9 AND UNDER
1st $30.00 and trophy
$5.00 for all non-winners.
Recognition of youngest fiddler with trophy.
12 AND UNDER
1st $60.00 and trophy
$5.00 gratuity for all non-winners.
18 AND UNDER
1st $100.00 and trophy
19 TO 59
60 AND OVER
Thank you to all of our generous sponsors for helping to keep Heritage Music Alive.