***NOTE THIS INFORMATION IS FROM 2023, FOR YOUR REFERENCE… 2024 CHANGES/UPDATES WILL BE AVAILABLE MID MAY OF 2024!
AMBASSADOR TO THE FAIR CONTEST 2023
September 7th, 2023, at 7:30 pm
on the indoor arena stage
Chairperson(s): Heather Rutherford [email protected]
**The event is open to anyone ages 17 to 24.
Rules and Regulations:
- Contestants must have been a resident of Canada for two years and a resident of Clarington for six months prior to the competition.
- Contestant must be a minimum of 17 years of age by August 1, 2023, so that when they compete at the CNE Ambassador of the Fairs in Toronto, August 2024.
- Contestants may not enter more than twice.
- Contestants will be interviewed by a panel of three judges. The judges will decide the finalist based on community knowledge and involvement, knowledge of the fair and agriculture, personality, and presentation.
- Each contestant will be required to submit a resume, and answer an impromptu question based on its contents. They must also deliver a 2 minute prepared speech on a topic of their choice.
- Contestants are required to be available at 4:30 p.m. on the evening of September 7th, 2023, to participate in interviews and rehearsal. The contestant chosen as Ambassador must be available throughout the duration of the Fair weekend.
- The successful contestant may not hold another title which the committee conflicts with their duties as the Orono Fair Ambassador as determined by the committee.
- The Fair Ambassador is required to be available to represent the Orono Agricultural Society at numerous events and functions throughout the year, including but not limited to meetings, the Clarington Santa Claus Parades, the OAAS Convention in February 2024, and the CNE Ambassador to the Fairs Competition in August 2024.
For registration details, please contact the Chairperson by September 1st, 2023.
The Ambassador shall receive a sash or medallion, and a bouquet of flowers, courtesy of the Orono Agricultural Society.
All Contestants shall receive a sash, $50.00 from their sponsors, and a bouquet of flowers courtesy of the Orono Agricultural Society.
Orono Agricultural Society Ambassador’s Message
It is hard to believe that my journey as the 2022-2023 ambassador is nearing the end. Growing up, I always looked forward to attending the fair. In fact, I haven’t ever missed one. I always wished to one day become the Orono Fair Ambassador, so, this past year has been surreal.
During the weekend of the fair, I had the chance to participate in various events and activities. It was an incredible way to contribute to the same fair where I had shown my 4-H calves, submitted my favourite art for judging, and even participated in the talent show. The fair weekend was a unique VIP experience that allowed me to hand out ribbons at the livestock shows, meet the James Barker Band, ride in style in the parade, and have front-row seats with the announcers at the truck and tractor pulls and demo cross. My favourite memory from the fair weekend was starting the crowd wave during the truck and tractor pull event!
My role as the Orono Fair Ambassador did not end when the gates closed for 2022. I made it my goal to be an active ambassador within the community. Throughout the year I have attended many opportunities within the Clarington area, an at the district and national levels. In the community, I had
the chance to represent the fair at pancake fundraisers, the Bowmanville, Newcastle, and Orono’s Santa Clause parades, car shows, farmers’ markets, celebrations and festivals, at our neighbouring fairs and many more! Additionally, I attended the District 4 spring AGM, the OAAS Convention in
February and the CNE in August!
The Ambassador program allowed me the opportunity to make incredible connections and friendships with other ambassadors, as well as meaningful connections in our community! This program helped enhance my leadership, professionalism and public speaking skills, through the various events I
attended and convention seminars.
This past year fulfilled the lifelong dream I had of representing my home fair as the Ambassador. I am incredibly thankful to Almet Farms for sponsoring me, the Fair Board and Agricultural Society for all of their support and guidance, and the ambassador committee for organizing the Ambassador Program.
The memories that have been created through being the Orono Fair Ambassador will last a lifetime. I can’t wait to see you all at the 2023 Orono Fair!
2022-2023 Orono Fair Ambassador