LAWN DECORATION /SCARECROW COMPETITION
ADVANCE ENTRIES ONLY!! – NO late entries will be accepted. An entry form click here, must be completed no later than 4:00 p.m. on Sunday August 22, 2021.
Displays MUST be up by 2:00 p.m. on Sunday August 29th and judging will take place after 2:00 p.m. Depending on how many entries and locations judging may occur over several days. Winner will be announced on Thursday September 9th. There will be 2 categories: the traditional scarecrow competition sponsored by the Kendal Lions Club and the larger lawn decoration category sponsored by the Orono Agricultural Society.
Scarecrow Only Sponsored by Kendal Lions Club.
PRICE MONEY : 1st – $25.00, 2nd – $15.00, 3rd – $10.00
1. Scarecrow must be at least 1 metre tall.
2. Must contain at least 2 fruits, flowers or vegetables
Lawn Decoration Sponsored by Orono Agricultural Society and Orono Weekly Times
PRIZE MONEY: 1st – $75.00, 2nd – $50.00, 3rd – $35.00 and 4th to 20th place $10.00 will be awarded.
- Open to homes & businesses throughout the community of Orono and within a 30 km radius from the Fairgrounds.
- A display of any size or shape to be decorated with any material (suitable medium) to promote the Orono Fair. It could include a scarecrow but could also include hay or straw bales, big or small corn stalks, rakes, farm machines, flowers, vegetables, animals, etc.
- Display must face the road and be on owner’s property. May be displayed on another property with owner’s permission. Display is NOT permitted on the road allowance.
- A sign MUST accompany the display and be clearly visible from the road. The sign must have the words “Orono Fair” and a tag line of your choice! You can choose the fireworks on September 1, reminisce of fairs gone by or refer to “back in 2022”
- Display must remain in place until Monday September 13, 2021.
- Participants/Entrants agree to send a picture of the decorated yard/scarecrow to be posted on our social media platforms. Pictures will be posted on Labour Day Monday
- Scarecrow only rules: Must be 1 metre high, must contain 2 fruits flowers or vegetables, and must have a sign as outlined above.
Scoring for Judges:
Overall appearance – 30%
Originality – 40%
Visibility of dates and sign – 30%